Host a Drive or Donate Children’s Goods
Children’s books, diapers and more!
In order to meet the growing needs of our community, Southwest Human Development relies on donors to help support its critical programs and services. Serving more than 135,000 children and families each year, Southwest Human Development is continually accepting donations of diapers, new or gently-used children’s books, children’s goods, supplies for our ADAPT Shop and more!
For many of the families we work with, every dollar they make is spent on providing for the essentials, such as rent, utilities, food and transportation. The added high cost of diapers can sometimes be unattainable for them.
Southwest Human Development is fortunate to have the support of the Diaper Bank of Central Arizona to provide many of the families we serve with this critical resource … but the need for diapers is always greater.
You can help by organizing a diaper drive or by making a financial contribution earmarked for diapers or our Family Assistance Fund! Diapers for newborns and sizes 1 and 2 are most needed, but sizes 3, 4 and 5 are also appreciated.
New or Gently-Used Children’s Books
We gladly accept:
- New or gently-used books with covers and pages intact
- Books suited for children ages birth to 5
Unfortunately, we cannot accept:
- Tattered books with dirty, ripped or missing covers and pages
- Books for adults or those with religious content or sensitive issues like divorce, abuse or death
Children’s Goods for Foster Families
When children are placed in the care of their relatives or with foster families, they often arrive with only the clothes they are wearing and one or two personal belongings. To help with this transition, we provide these children and their new families with “Welcome Bags.”
You can help by organizing a donation drive or by making a financial contribution to our Family Assistance Fund to supply some of the most common items we include in the “Welcome Bags:”
- Stuffed animals
- Picture frames and/or photo albums
- Blank diaries/journals
- Disposable cameras
- Backpacks and/or school and art supplies
- Reward stickers
- Family board games and/or playing cards
- Activity passes (movies, zoo, theme parks, etc.)
- Gift cards (groceries, clothing, home necessities, etc.)
- Beds (mattresses and frames) and/or bed linens
- First aid kits
- Toiletries (toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair brush/comb, etc.)
ADAPT Shop Supplies
The ADAPT Shop offers families individualized adaptive supports for children with disabilities that can be identified, designed and/or fabricated for their unique specific needs.
To create these unique, customized solutions, our ADAPT Shop needs your help with the following donations:
- Gift cards to stores like Home Depot, Lowe’s, Apple, Target and Amazon.com
- Tools and equipment such as power tools, VELCRO, masking tape, safety glasses and adhesive spray