Early Literacy & Head Start
Setting Children on a Path to Success
Research shows that all children benefit from a high-quality early childhood education experience, and that quality early education is especially important for children growing up in low-income families.
Our 35 years of experience with early childhood education and literacy programs help children enter school ready to learn. In fact, Southwest Human Development’s preschool Head Start and Early Head Start programs have been recognized nationwide as models.
Our early literacy programs help young children build the skills they need to become successful readers now, while laying the foundation for lifelong literacy.
- Head Start and Early Head Start is a free, comprehensive child development program serving income-eligible children ages birth through 4, their families and expectant mothers. High-quality education and a wide array of services combine to help prepare children for success in school and life.
- Raising A Reader is an eight-week early literacy program designed to educate parents about the importance of early literacy skills and how they can build these skills in their young children to help them enter school ready to learn.
- Reach Out and Read promotes early literacy by bringing new books and information about the importance of reading aloud into the pediatric exam room. Reach Out and Read targets children who are growing up in poverty and often at risk for reading and school failure.
- Educare Arizona is part of a national network of early childhood centers that provide income-eligible children, ages birth to 5, with comprehensive, high-quality education, family support and health care to set them on a path for success in school and in life.
Literacy Resources for Parents
More than one-third of children enter kindergarten without the basic language skills they will need to learn to read. Here are some great resources to help you, as a parent, build early literacy skills in your young children:
- Bookmarks with Early Literacy Tips
- Family Reading Tips (English) / (Spanish)
- Favorite Read-Aloud Books
- Feed The Need To Read Placemat (English) / (Spanish)
- Fun Reading Tips
- Great Board Books for Infant, Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Milestones of Early Literacy Development (English) / (Spanish)
- Recommended Book Titles – Fall
- Recommended Book Titles – Winter
- What Children Like in Books